An extranet is a private website that is used by employees and other people that are associated with a specific company. This site is similar to a company’s intranet in many different ways. The only thing that separates extranet from the intranet is the fact that extranet can be accessed remotely as well. Intranet can only be accessed when employees are physically inside of the company’s quarters whom they are working for.
Having some type of extranet set up for your small business will simplify data management, communication, and other issues that stem from promoting the products and services that your company offers. If your business involves you having to communicate with customers about products or services that are offered, having extranet set up will help you streamline your means of communication with the general public.
One of the biggest advantages that involves using extranet services is being able to hold online conferences, regardless of your location or the location of an opposing party. All you need to be able to hold these conferences is a web cam and a software program that is designed for conferencing. Online conferences help you stay close to your company and your clients when you cannot physically meet with them.
In order for you to be able to experience extranet success, the service that you use has to possess several functions. There are six things that you may want to consider before employing the use of an extranet service.
1. Make sure that your extranet service has some type of availability to a company-wide chat room. This way, everyone within the organization will be able to reach out to each other if there are any immediate concerns that need to be addressed. Make sure that the chat rooms have restrictions that are set up according to the requirements of your company.
2. You will want to ensure that there is some type of calendar software setup that your company employs to tell your employees about any upcoming meetings or important appointments. This way, everyone that is supposed to attend the event gets a calendar reminder of the date and time that the event is going to take place.
3. Your extranet service should allow you to access file sharing. If there are important documents that you need certain people in your organization to see, then your extranet service should make it possible for only the select group of people that you select to be able to review over any important files that you have.
4. Your extranet service should be synchronized with software programs that are relevant to your organization. For example, Microsoft office is one type of software program that a lot of small and large businesses employ.
5. In order for people to want to use the extranet site, it has to be easy to use and easy to navigate.
6. Just like the traditional internet that is used by the general public, your extranet service should allow you the ability to be able to update the software sporadically. The extranet should send every user alerts whenever updates need to be performed.